Thursday, June 28, 2007

Week 4, Things 8 & 9

As I sit here in good old Perry Hall Library on a Thursday night, Laserface in the basement (http://www.laserface.net) and about an hour until close, I find myself compelled to complete this week's activity.



Bloglines is one of the best sites I have ever been to, and definitely one that I will use long after the 23 Things program is complete. As soon as I confirmed my email address, I was ready to explore the different feeds. I liked how Bloglines gave you two options: to look at feeds by category (a list on the left) or to pick from specific, popular feeds (on the right). This made it easier to find what I was looking for, instead of having to go off all on my own in search of blogs that interest me. I picked several feeds from each list, including Alternative Energy Blog, EnviroLink News Service, National Geographic News: Animals & Nature, and TreeHugger from the Environmentalist list. From the sites recommended by 23 Things, I picked Information Wants To Be Free, It's all good, and Unshelved. Picking out feeds that interested me was easy, so I subscribed to 1Up, a video gaming blog, and PostSecret (many PostSecret books can be found on the shelves of our libraries). All in all, I think Bloglines is such a good idea. Instead of sifting through all the news on sites such as msn.com or CNN, I get directly to what I want to read, about topics I'm very interested in.

I moved on to MERLIN. As I already know quite a bit about technology, MERLIN wasn't as useful to me as it may be for others. However, for the beginning internet explorer (bad pun. I know. sorry.) it is useful. I did check out some things about Wikis in preparation for later.

Closing tiiiiime...

1 comment:

JimD said...

Bloglines opened a world for me as well. I had heard about RSS but I was under the impression that you had to install some sort of cryptic software in order to use it. It was a kick for me to realize that it was all available over the web without having to install anything. I think BCPL will be moving ahead in the coming year to provide RSS feeds to our customers. It's good that we'll all have some experience with it so that we'll be able to explain it to our customers.